As much as I love turkey around the holidays, it’s the dressing and gravy that I love the most. Dressing (specially this ciabatta and sausage dressing) has so many different flavors and textures and colors. Turkey? Meh… not so much. Not that the turkey is a bad thing, it’s just that I much prefer a plate with a lot of dressing and just a bit of turkey.
I had never had a dressing that contained sausage until this one. I was blown away by just how much flavor the sage sausage adds. The ciabatta adds such wonderful texture and flavor too. There’s no question, this ciabatta and sausage dressing is just fantastic.
Also try my more traditional Thanksgiving Day dressing.
Ciabatta and Sausage Stuffing
As much as I love turkey around the holidays, it’s the dressing and gravy that I love the most. Dressing (specially this ciabatta and sausage dressing) has so many different flavors and textures and colors.
- 3 tablespoons. unsalted butter divided
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 2 cups turkey stock chicken stock can be substituted
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
- 1 12 ounce ciabatta bread cut into 1" pieces
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Crumble in the sausage and cook until browned. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Add remaining butter to the skillet and melt.
- Add the carrot, onion and celery and saute until starting to soften.
- Place the sausage, cooked vegetables, stock, oil, parsley, rosemary sage and bread into a large bowl and stir.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into a 9″ x 13″ baking dish and spread out evenly.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and hot.
- Serve garnished with more parsley if desired.
Calories: 222kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 484mg | Potassium: 233mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1411IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutritional values are approximate.
One thought on “Ciabatta and Sausage Dressing”
The pork sausage not Italian, just regular pork sausage gives so much flavor, texture, and heartiness to this stuffing.