Grilled okra is a great thing. Grilling brings out that fantastic okra flavor. Stuffing them with cream cheese, bacon and sprinkling them with a bit of Cajun seasoning makes them divine. Grilled jalapeno poppers or grilled okra poppers? I’m going with the okra version every single time, and without hesitation.
If you’re scared of the ‘goo’ in okra, simply scrape it out. Just get it out of there when you open up the grilled okra to insert the cheese stuffing. Choose the smallest okra possible that can still be stuffed. Also, try to choose pods that are as close to the same size as possible. That way they all cook in about the same amount of time.
I got this great recipe (and a whole lot of others) out of the now-defunct Chile Pepper magazine. After all, if you like things spicy, or even just a little bit spicy, you have to get an issue and check it out. Also like me you’ll find yourself subscribing.
For another totally different twist on the traditional jalapeno popper, try my pickle poppers cooked on the Char-Broil Big Easy (but easily made on any grill too!). Or my crazy-yummy bacon-wrapped pineapple poppers.
Grilled Okra Poppers
- Fire up your grill for direct cooking.
- Toss the okra with oil and Cajun seasoning. Transfer to the grill and cook until just softened and lightly charred, 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove okra from grill and let cool.
- Combine the cream cheese, bacon, and onion powder.
- Cut a slit down the center of each piece of okra and spread apart the two halves. Be careful to not cut all the way thru the okra.
- Using your finger, smear some of the cheese mixture into the cavity of the okra.
- Return okra to the grill and cook 2-3 more minutes until warmed through.
- Serve sprinkled with a bit more Cajun seasoning.
Nutritional values are approximate.