This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
You definitely don’t have to brine your chicken to ‘fry’ it using the Vortex, but oh boy, does it make a difference. I was watching Eat Street on the Cooking Channel when they did a segment on the Buzznbeez food truck in Tempe, Arizona. They make my kind of food: soul food. Which means southern fried chicken. Dang good looking southern fried chicken. I proceeded to find the recipe for Buzznbeez southern fried chicken and make it using the Vortex.
This right here is great eats. Tender, juicy, beyond flavorful, and oh…. that skin… and that beautiful color. Every bite of this Buzznbeez Southern Fried Chicken using the Vortex was a dream come true. I’d make this again and again.
Brushing the chicken with a light coat of oil just before removing it from the grill will give the skin a bit more crunch. It’s optional, but I do recommend it!
For a little twist, I used my homemade smoked sea salt in the brine. It added a slight smokiness. You can get the same effect by placing a chunk of wood over your Vortex while cooking the chicken (something I also like to do when cooking wings on my Vortex, something I do almost daily!).
Buzznbeez Southern Fried Chicken using the Vortex
- 8 pieces chicken I prefer skin-in chicken thighs
- Brine see below
- Coating see below
- Vegetable oil
- Place chicken into a large bowl or resealable container.
- Combine the brine ingredients and add to the chicken. Toss to coat.
- Slowly add enough cold water to just cover the chicken.
- Cover or seal and refrigerate overnight (or up to 24 hours).
- Fire up your grill for cooking with the Vortex.
- Combine the coating ingredients.
- Remove chicken pieces from the brine. Shake off excess then toss in the coating, cover the pieces completely.
- Transfer chicken to the grill around the Vortex.
- Cover and cook for 45 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 F as measured in several places.
- Lightly brush with a little vegetable oil and cook another 2-3 minutes to crisp up the skin.
- Remove and let rest 5 minutes before serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.