What’s better than ‘fried’ chicken made using the Vortex BBQ insert? If you’ve made it before, you know what I’m talking about. If you haven’t made it before, you’re missing out. In fact, you need to stop reading this point right now and order one for your charcoal grill. Then make this southern marinated fried chicken. It’s amazing. Crunchy skin. Tender, juicy meat. And packed with flavor and then some. You’ll swear it was fried in oil.
The seasoning is the key to the flavor in this southern marinated fried chicken. Nothing fancy, but oh so good on chicken. Left to marinate overnight, the seasoning ends up flavoring every bite, all the way through. And with no trouble at all, the Vortex cooks the chicken up perfectly.
I’ve never had leftover ‘fried’ chicken made using the Vortex. And I don’t think I ever will.
Southern Marinated Fried Chicken using the Vortex
For the seasoning
- Combine all ingredients.
For the chicken
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Transfer chicken to a sealable bag or container.
- Add HALF of the seasoning. Seal, and toss to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- Fire up your Vortex with a full load of coals. Let them ash over before cooking.
- Combine the remaining seasoning with the pepper and flour.
- Roll chicken in the flour mixture and coat well.
- Place the chicken on the grill grate around the Vortex.
- Close the lid (leaving the top vent open) and cook for 45 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165 F. You may turn the lid 90 degrees every 15 minutes of cooking if desired.
- Lightly brush the tops of the chicken pieces with oil and cook another 5 minutes to crisp the skin.
- Remove and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.