This spicy orange chicken is one of those “there aren’t going to be very many leftovers” dishes. We knew it as soon as we started eating. The sauce on the chicken is just crazy good. A slight hint of orange. A slight spicy kick. The chicken is fried quickly and perfectly, with just a slight crunch. We loved this dish and then some. This is a real keeper.
I’m a big fan of green onions on dishes that are Asian-inspired such as this spicy orange chicken. I need something to cut thru the sweetness, the soy sauce. So I tend to be a bit heavy-handed when it comes time to sprinkle on the sliced green onion. Well, at least that explains all of the green onion in the picture!
Don’t be afraid to add more crushed red pepper to the sauce.
I like to use my good ole trusty Dutch oven to make this orange chicken and pretty much darned near anything like it on my stovetop. It’s nice and big and sturdy. That extra weight helps it maintain and distribute heat perfectly. As an added bonus, it’s actually pretty easy to clean up too!
Also try my copycat of Panda Express’ SweetFire chicken.
Spicy Orange Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized cubes
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup cornstarch
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Cooked rice for serving
- green onions sliced, for topping
For the spicy orange sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper or more
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 5 ounces Kikkoman Orange Sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Combine chicken, egg whites and soy sauce in a bowl and let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large Dutch oven or deep fryer to 360 F.
- Working in batches, remove chicken from marinade. Shake off excess then roll in the cornstarch. Fry until golden brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Make the sauce by heating 1 tablespoon of oil (you can also use 1 tablespoon of the oil from the fryer) in a large skillet. Add the garlic and red pepper and stir-fry for 15 seconds.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the water and stir into the skillet. Add the Orange Sauce and soy sauce. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue simmer, stirring, until thickened.
- Add in the chicken and stir to coat.
- Serve over rice topped with green onions.
Nutritional values are approximate.