Man do I ever love a big ole pot of great beans. But these enchilada beans aren’t great beans. They’re amazing beans. The flavors are just amazing. Southwestern in nature, with the perfect texture and a sauce that is to die for, I could eat these beans all day long and still ask for more.
You cannot improve on these enchilada beans. Don’t go adding hot sauce, or spicy chili powder, or some fru-fru roasted tomato sauce. They don’t need any messing with. At all. Trust me on this. Make them exactly as the recipe calls for and you will thank me all day long.
Now, that being said… after making these a few times the thought of adding crumbled browned ground beef and making these beans into a chili did occur to me…
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan or Dutch oven. Add onion and cook until just starting to soften.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle onions with flour, chili powder and cumin and stir. Cook for 5 minutes to cook the flour, stirring.
- Stir in the broth and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until thickened.
Nutritional values are approximate.