Oh sure, somewhere there’ll be someone that’ll say ‘ewww’ when they see SPAM. But oh, do not poo-poo cedar planked SPAM. Ever! The cedar imparts a special lightly smoky different flavor to the SPAM slices. A little rub and a little time on your grill is all you need. Make them sweet, make them spicy, however you prefer. Watching your sodium? Just us a low-salt or no-salt seasoning. You don’t need anything strong, as the cedar will add a special flavor that you do not want to hide.
My favorite thing to do with cedar planked SPAM (besides munching on it right off the grill) is to get a nice crust on it using a super hot skillet or griddle and put it on a sandwich. I treat it much like I do my grilled or smoked bologna. One of my favorite sandwiches is a pool room burger. Try it. You’ll never look at SPAM the same way again, specially after you’ve cedar planked it
Don’t skimp on the cedar planks. Get quality, thick, good planks and you’ll not regret it. And the final results will show it.
Also try my smoked SPAM and SPAM burnt ends.
Cedar Planked SPAM
- SPAM sliced as desired
- Your favorite BBQ seasoning
- Soak a cedar plank in water for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season the SPAM slices liberally with the rub.
- Fire up your grill for direct and indirect cooking. Once it gets hot, place the plank over the flames and char it on both sides. Keep a spray bottle of water on hand in case the plank catches on fire.
- Transfer the SPAM to the plank and move it to indirect heat. Cook 20-25 minutes or until lightly charred along the edges. Cook longer if eating directly from the plank.
Nutritional values are approximate.