Oh sure, somewhere there’ll be someone that’ll say ‘ewww’ when they see Spam. But oh, do not poo-poo cedar planked Spam. Ever! The cedar imparts a special lightly smokey different flavor to the Spam slices. A little rub and a little time on your grill is all you need. Make them sweet, make them spicy, however you prefer. Watching your sodium? Just us a low-salt or no-salt seasoning. You don’t need anything strong, as the cedar will add a special flavor that you do not want to hide.
My favorite thing to do with cedar planked Spam (besides munching on it right off the grill) is to get a nice crust on it using a super hot skillet or griddle and put it on a sandwich. I treat it much like I do my grilled or smoked bologna. One of my favorite sandwiches is a pool room burger. Try it. You’ll never look at Spam the same way again, specially after you’ve cedar planked it
Also try my smoked Spam.
Cedar Planked Spam
- Spam sliced as desired
- Your favorite rub or seasoning I used AlbuKirky Seasonings Sweet Red
- Soak a cedar plank in water for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season the Spam slices liberally with the rub.
- Fire up your grill for direct and indirect cooking. Once it gets hot, place the plank over the flames and char it on both sides. Keep a spray bottle of water on hand in case the plank catches on fire.
- Transfer the Spam to the plank and move it to indirect heat. Cook 20-25 minutes or until lightly charred along the edges. Cook longer if eating directly from the plank.
Nutritional values are approximate.