I have long had a problem controlling myself around onion rings. I’ve loved them since I was a kid and I’ve tried and tried to keep some sort of decency about myself when eating them. Then along came these spicy Texan onion rings and every last bit of self-control I might have had was gone in an instant. I seriously do not remember what else we had for dinner the night I made these. Could’ve been filet mignon. Doesn’t matter. The rings were the star.
I made a chipotle mayonnaise dipping sauce to go with my spicy Texan onion rings. The sauce has a bit of a kick, but it doesn’t have such bold flavors as to drown out the rings. The crunch, the heat and the flavor is amazing. You’ll find yourself making them again and again.
Also try my spicy red onion rings.
Spicy Texan Onion Rings
- 2 medium sweet onions
- 2 cups buttermilk
- hot sauce to taste, optional
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the dipping sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 7.5 ounce chipotles canned, in adobo, minced
- kosher salt
- cilantro chopped, optional
- fresh lime juice optional
- Slice onions into 1/4" rings. Place in a large bowl or pie pan and add buttermilk and hot sauce if using. Marinate for 15 minutes, turning the rings every 5 minutes to make sure they all get some time in the buttermilk.
- Combine the flour, salt, black pepper, chipotle chile powder, oregano and cumin and place into a pie pan.
- Heat oil to 350 F in a deep fryer or Dutch oven.
- Working in batches, remove rings from the buttermilk. Shake off the excess and then coat well in the flour mixture. Return the rings to the buttermilk and turn to coat. Shake off the excess and again coat in the flour mixture.
- Fry 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown, turning once.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool slightly and drain before serving with the dripping sauce.
For the dipping sauce
- Combine all ingredients. Chill until ready to use.
Nutritional values are approximate.