Ever bite into an appetizer, roll your eyes, make that ‘ooooooh my’ sound and smile? You turn to the person next to you and you smile ‘that’ smile? That’s what we did when we took our first memorable bite of these fried mozzarella pepperoni sticks. The egg rolls are so crunchy and yummy. The cheese gets all yummy gooey, melty, yummy. The pepperoni adds a bite of meaty spiciness. All dunked in warm marinara.
We both agree, we’ll probably not make something more delicious or as addicting as these fried mozzarella pepperoni sticks. Oh we could probably make some changes. Maybe use a different cheese. I think a pepperjack cheese or anything spicy would be great. Use pizza sauce for dunking. But why? There’s no point at all messing with this level of perfection. Just make them and enjoy and don’t over-think them. They’re awesome!
If I’m cooking for a crowd, I’ll break out my big deep fryer. But, if it’s just the two of us, I’ll fire up my Fry Daddy fryer. It’s the perfect size for both of us. It fries everything perfectly. And as an added bonus, it doesn’t use a lot of oil, which saves me money.
Fried Mozzarella Pepperoni Sticks
- 12 pieces string cheese I used mozzarella
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- 36 slices pepperoni
- vegetable oil
- marinara sauce warmed
- Heat oil to 375 F in a deep fryer, Dutch oven or deep skillet.
- Working in batches, place egg roll wrappers in front of you with one corner towards you and one pointing away from your. The others will point to your left and right, forming a diamond. The wrappers are rectangular so it won't be a perfect diamond, but close enough.
- Place three pieces of pepperoni in the center of the wrapper, leaving about an inch between the pepperoni and the left and right points of the diamond.
- Center a piece of cheese over the pepperoni.
- Grab the bottom point of the wrapper and fold over the top of the cheese. Fold in the sides. Then roll up until you get to the top point. Just before you roll that last inch brush the inside of the wrapper with water to help hold.
- Fry the sticks in oil for about 1 minute or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack-lined sheet pan to drain and cool slightly.
- Serve with warmed marinara sauce for dipping.
Nutritional values are approximate.