Grilled French bread pizza is one of my favorite, quick, dishes to make. I love the crunchy bread, the melty cheese and the slight grilled flavor. I don’t go too crazy with the toppings, just a bit of cheese, some sausage or pepperoni, and maybe some onion or mushrooms. That’s all I need. You can load them up, though, if you want. The bread can handle it. If you’re worried about lifting them off the grill when they’re done, I recommend using a wide spatula or slide them to the edge of the grill and gently onto a baking sheet.
These grilled French bread pizzas pack extra flavor thanks to the garlic butter and a bit or oregano. They’re really what make them special. Of course, in a pinch, you can make these yummies in the oven too. Just heat it to 400 F and then follow the directions below. If you want a little color on top, just toss the pizzas under the broiler for a little before slicing and serving.
Also try my grilled stuffed Manicotti shells.
Grilled French Bread Pizza
- 1 loaf French bread halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- ½ cup pizza sauce warmed if refrigerated
- ½ cup shredded cheese more or less
- Favorite pizza toppings I like pepperoni, cooked and lightly chopped Italian sausage, a bit of red onion and sometimes mushrooms… use whatever you want!
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Fire up your grill for indirect cooking. You want the temperature where you're going to cook to be around 400 F. Alternatively, you can use direct, low, heat.
- Melt the butter and stir in the garlic salt. Use a brush to spread the mixture on the cut sides of the bread.
- Transfer the bread to the grill and cook for 5 minutes or until slightly toasted. If you find that your grill is toasting one side but not another, rotate the slices in the grill halfway through.
- Remove the bread. Divide the sauce between the two pieces, spreading to the edges (to quote Jeff Mauro: Edge-to-edge is our pledge!).
- Add the cheese then the other toppings. Finally, sprinkle with the oregano.
- Return to the grill and continue baking until the cheese is melted. Again, if one side is cooking faster than other simply rotate the pieces as necessary.
- Remove and let cool slightly before slicing.
Nutritional values are approximate.