I always keep frozen cooked meatballs on hand. They might be homemade. Or they might be store-bought. Either way, they’re always around because I never know when I might need a really quick lunch. You can’t get much simpler than this quick fix messy meatball sandwich. Remember my motto: the messier the better and this is definitely better!
Quick fix messy meatball sandwiches aren’t meant to be fussy. If you’re in a super-duper hurry you can skip the baking part of the recipe and just place the sandwiches under a hot broiler for a minute or two. Keep an eye on them, though. They’ll get mighty crusty mighty quick! I admit, I don’t follow this recipe that closely. I don’t measure the marinara sauce. Or the cheeses. Just eyeball it.
Although I used marinara sauce the last time I made these, you can also substitute pizza sauce. Jarred or canned, it doesn’t matter. I do recommend that you hand-shred the mozzarella, though. It might violate my keep-it-simple rule, but it’s worth the extra 15 seconds (if you use a good shredder).
Quick Fix Messy Meatball Sandwich
- 16 meatballs frozen
- 1 ⅓ cup marinara sauce pizza sauce is great too!
- 4 hoagie rolls sub rolls or baguettes also work great!
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 ⅓ cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place meatballs and sauce into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cover and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the meatballs are heated through, stirring often.
- Turn rolls on their sides, sliced side up. If they aren't pre-sliced cut them about 3/4ths of the way through but not all the way.
- Divide meatballs and sauce between the rolls, gently pushing the meatballs down.
- Sprinkle cheeses over top along with the oregano.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the buns have started to brown.
Nutritional values are approximate.