For years and years I’ve seen TV chefs and restaurant cooks making spaghetti sauce form scratch. And yet for some reason, I never did it… until now. This fantastic homemade spaghetti sauce blew me away. Not only is it easy to make (with ingredients I almost always have in my pantry and fridge) it tastes absolutely amazing. I’ll never have any other pasta sauce again. Ever.
You can make this fantastic homemade spaghetti sauce without adding either the meatballs or Italian sausage and it’s still out-of-this-world great. I happen to like them, so I added them. This is a great pantry sauce and one I’ll make again and again, and the meat can be optional.
Make sure you get the best canned whole tomatoes your store has to offer. They won’t be cheap, but trust me, the difference in taste and consistency is worth the few extra bucks.
Fantastic Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot or Dutch oven.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring until the mixture is smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add sausages and meatballs and stir until the meat is coated and heated. If using frozen meatballs make sure they get completely warmed through.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Reduce heat to a slow simmer. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring often. If the sauce gets too thick add a splash of water and stir.
- Serve over cooked pasta.
Nutritional values are approximate.