This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
There are probably thousands of recipes on the internet for slow cooker BBQ beef. So why another? Well, for my money this is the only recipe I need. It’s the ingredients of the sauce that make this worth the time and well, some trouble. Sure, I could fire up my Weber smoker and cook a beef roast (just as good as brisket but cheaper) all day and I often do, but sometimes the slow cooker will do just fine too!
Of course slow cooker BBQ beef is as tender as you’d expect. And juicy. And the sauce, oh the sauce. Like I said, it’s what makes this worth making time and time again. I like to make extra and freeze it. It’s nice to have on hand for a quicker BBQ sandwich dinner, BBQ beef baked potatoes, and one of my favorites, BBQ nachos.
Also try my slow cooker roadhouse ribs.
Slow Cooker BBQ Beef
- 4 pound chuck roast
- 1 ½ cups ketchup
- 1 small sweet onion chopped
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon cold water
- 12 steak sandwich rolls or hamburger buns or two loaves French bread, halved
- Place the chuck roast in your slow cooker.
- In a bowl, whisk together the ketchup, onion, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, paprika, pepper and celery seeds.
- Pour sauce over meat. Cover and cook on low or until beef shred easily, about 9 hours.
- Carefully transfer the meat to a cutting board and shred with a fork or chop with a knife. Note: I place my cutting board inside a rimmed baking sheet so that the juices don't run all over my counter top.
- Transfer the juices from the slow cooker to a sauce pan. Bring to a slow simmer over medium heat.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl or glass. Whisk into the sauce and stir until thickened.
- Return the meat to the slow cooker. Add the sauce.
- Serve over buns or bread.
Nutritional values are approximate.