For a moment there I thought that Hillshire Farm’s had changed the recipe for their Lit’l Smokies. I mean, I almost thought I was eating a shrimp cocktail. Ah, but it was that combination of ketchup and horseradish that was fooling me. After a few hours in the slow cooker those flavors found their way into every bite of sausage. These tailgate cocktail smokies were really, really quite good. Unexpectedly good. These aren’t your standard issue BBQ-sauce-and-smokies appetizers. I’d make these again. And again.
I’m not usually a big horseradish fan. I mean, I like it but it can get overwhelming for me if there’s too much. Not in this case. I think the recipe is spot-on for the amount. Those 4 hours of time in the crockpot really mellow it out making it a wonderful flavor.
Tailgate Cocktail Smokies
- 2 packages cocktail smoked sausage links
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- Spray a small slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add all ingredients and stir.
- Cover and warm on low for 4 hours, stirring every hour or so.
Nutritional values are approximate.