It’s an understatement to say I’m a big fan of smoking chuck roast. When it’s on sale it’s big time cheaper than brisket and yet still tender, moist and ‘beefy’. Sometimes I slice my smoked chuck roast, but more times than not I chop it for sandwiches or cut it into chunks for use in a chili or stew. This barbacoa-style smoked chuck roast packs fantastic flavor and juiciness, with a nice hint of heat. Perfect on a chopped beef sandwich!
I do not trim my chuck roasts before marinating them. I want all that fat to still be on the meat when I smoke it, adding flavor and moisture. After the meat is done I slice or chop it, leaving off the fatty pieces.
Barbacoa-Style Smoked Chuck Roast
This barbacoa-style smoked chuck roast packs fantastic flavor and juiciness, with a nice hint of heat. Perfect on a chopped beef sandwich!
Servings 12 servings
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3-4 chipotles in adobo
- 3-4 pound chuck roast untrimmed
- Combine all but roast in a bowl.
- Place the chuck roast into a large resealable bag or container.
- Add the marinade. Toss to coat, seal, and marinade overnight.
- Fire up your smoker for smoking at 250 F. Use a medium wood such as hickory.
- Remove the beef from the marinade. Shake off the excess and transfer to the smoker.
- Smoke until the roast reaches 145 F., about 1 hour.
- Transfer the beef to a large piece of foil. Seal up tightly and return to the smoker. Smoke until the temperature reaches 200F, 4-5 hours more.
- Remove from the smoker and let rest 15 minutes before slicing of chopping. Add any juices from the foil back into the meat for extra flavor.
Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 78mg | Sodium: 389mg | Potassium: 419mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 221IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 3mg
Nutritional values are approximate.