These are our go-to beef and bean burritos. Nothing fancy and not complicated. They taste fantastic and have just the right spice balance. The recipe makes a big huge batch of burritos. Leftovers freeze well and are perfect warmed up for a quick and easy lunch.
Now, don’t let the fact that I used canned sauce and beans throw you off. I grabbed the good stuff at the store when I picked up the ingredients for these beef and bean burritos. It makes a big difference.
If you’re going to freeze the leftovers, I suggest wrapping them tightly in wax paper. The enchiladas will absorb a lot of the sauce but I like to make a little extra on the side for dipping or drizzling. If I’m freezing them I always grab a can or two extra of sauce and heat it up at the same time I heat up the burritos,.
The best side dish for these? Fiesta corn, of course.
Beef and Bean Burritos
- Vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 10 ounce enchilada sauce you might want more if you love them saucy
- 1 28 ounce refried beans
- 3/4 cup Cheddar grated, plus extra for garnish
- 12 large flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- Preheat oven to 170 F.
- Heat a splash of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until soft.
- Add the ground beef and cook until done, breaking up the meat as it cooks.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, oregano and salt. Stir.
- Add 2 cans of the enchilada sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat add the refried beans and cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- Heat tortillas in the oven for a few minutes.
- Divide bean and cheese mixture between the tortillas, spreading out evenly.
- Divide meat between tortillas, spreading out evenly down the center of the tortillas.
- Fold sides of the tortillas in the roll. Transfer to a large baking dish, seam-side down. Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Cover with foil and transfer to the oven until warm.
- Meanwhile, warm the remaining enchilada sauce.
- When ready to serve, drizzle with warmed sauce and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
Nutritional values are approximate.