By golly, these broccoli cheddar pockets do taste just like the pockets you can get out of the freezer section in your grocery store! Actually, they taste even better. That might because there’s extra ooey-gooey extra sharp cheddar cheese inside. Oh, yeah, there’s some healthy broccoli thrown in too. And well, yes, I did add a bit of bacon. How could you not?
You can make a big batch of these broccoli cheddar pockets then freeze them for later. Just pop them into the microwave or oven to reheat (until the cheese melts). Nice and easy!
You can easily make copycats of the other pocket flavors you find in your grocery store’s freezer. Just fill with cooked (the dryer the better!) ingredients and seal!
Broccoli Cheddar Pockets
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets frozen chopped
- 4-6 slices bacon cooked, chopped (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups sharp cheddar cheese grated, about 5 ounces
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chives chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tube Pillsbury® Crusty French bread dough
- 1 egg
- Cook broccoli per package instructions. Drain well.
- Place broccoli in a large bowl and gently stir in the bacon, cheddar, sour cream and chives.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Lightly flour a flat surface.
- Divide the dough into 4 equally sized pieces and roll out into 6" x 8" rectangles.
- Divide the broccoli mixture between each piece of dough, placing the ingredients in the center.
- Fold the 2 shorter sides of the dough over the filling, stretching to cover.
- Fold the 2 long sides over like a burrito and pinch the edges to seal.
- Place the pockets seam-side down on the baking sheet.
- Beat the egg and 1 tablespoon warm water in a small bowl or glass. Brush the pockets with the egg wash.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Nutritional values are approximate.