Yep, you’re right. It’s nothing fancy. Nothing fru-fru. But boy, can I put a hurt on a batch of these spicy bacon cheese fries. Crispy fries. Spicy peppers, Smoky bacon.. Ooey-gooey cheese. I really don’t need anything else. Heck, serve it to me as dinner and I’m happy! Specially in my younger days, where I might have found myself at a sports bar or two, I’d call these fries dinner and then some!
Oh sure, you can make these spicy bacon cheese fries a hundred different other ways. You can add chili. Throw on some cheese curds. Squirt on some sour cream. Or you can keep them OG and just enjoy the heck out of a simple plate of fries!
I do strongly recommend that you hand grate or shred your cheeses in this and any other recipes. The difference is noticeable. There are no ingredients in there that keep the shredded cheeses from sticking. Those same ingredients also make it hard for the cheeses to melt.
I prefer to deep-fry my pre-made frozen fries. Yeah, you can bake them. But that takes longer and let’s face it, the fries never, ever come out quite as good as they do deep-fried. I don’t do it every day, mind you, but sometimes you gotta treat yourself!
Spicy Bacon Cheese Fries
- 16 ounces frozen fries such as Ore-Ida
- ½ cup Pepper Jack cheese grated
- ½ cup Colby Jack cheese grated
- 2 strips bacon cooked, crumbled
- 1 large jalapeno sliced
- Cook fries per package instructions. I prefer to deep-fry mine.
- Transfer fries to an oven-safe platter.
- Sprinkle fries with the cheeses and crumbled bacon.
- Put into the oven under a low-heat broiler for one minute to melt the cheese. Keep an eye on it and don't put the plate too close to the broiler.
- Remove and garnish with jalapeno slices before serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.