I smoked some pork shoulders this weekend that were injected and basted with Cherry Doctor Pepper. The end result was the best pulled pork I’ve ever had. Everyone that ate it said it was fantastic. Super tender, super moist, and just the right smoke flavor. Along with the pulled pork I served this great Cherry Doctor Pepper BBQ sauce.
I like to serve (and be served) Cherry Doctor Pepper BBQ sauce on the side. First, you get to add as little or as much as you want. Second, it doesn’t let you hide less-than-perfect meat. I always sample meats first before saucing them. A good sauce can cover up for over-cooked, under-smoked meat, so order yours “dry” (sauce on the side).
Also try my Dr Pepper hot wings!
Cherry Doctor Pepper BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup Cherry Dr. Pepper not diet
- 1 1/2 cups your favorite BBQ sauce use a spicy sauce for a more kicked-up version
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Place the soda and BBQ sauce in a sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer.
- Whisk in the brown sugar and honey.
- Let simmer until the desired thickness is achieved.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.