Boy, talk about something making it to the table and disappearing before I could even say ‘here are some copycat restaurant-style deep-fried mushrooms, enjoy!’. I think I got to the word ‘mushrooms’ and they were all gone! Well, ok, not quite, but these little bites are so incredibly yummy that they truly did not last any time at all. They’re so good I had to make them two nights in a row. I’d gone for three, but that’s a bit much even for me. Since there’s just the two of us, I make them in my Fry Daddy deep fryer (in no time at all)!
These copycat restaurant-style deep-fried mushrooms have the perfect crunch to them. The coating is very addicting. The mushrooms keep a good bit of their texture, so they’re not mushy. They have a bit of a ‘bite’ to them and a wonderful flavor. We dipped them in a bit of Ranch dressing, but they’re great as they are.
Also try my garlic Parmesan pub mushrooms.
Copycat Restaurant-Style Deep-Fried Mushrooms
- 2 cups all-purpose
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8 ounces mushrooms fresh, washed, dried, stems removed. Button mushrooms or mini-portabellas work great. Try to use mushrooms that are all about the same size for even cooking
- vegetable oil for frying
- dipping sauce Ranch dressing, ketchup, whatever you prefer!
- Heat a few inches of oil to 375 F in a Dutch oven or deep fryer.
- Combine the all-purpose flour, salt, pepper and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- Place buttermilk into another medium bowl.
- Working in batches, roll the mushrooms in the flour mixture. Coat well, then shake off excess.
- Transfer mushrooms to the buttermilk and roll to coat well. Shake off the excess.
- Return mushrooms to the flour mixture and coat again. Shake off excess then transfer to the fryer.
- Deep fry the mushrooms 1-4 minutes or until they are golden brown. Flip the mushrooms halfway through cooking to get all sides good and done.
- Transfer to a wire rack-lined pan to drain while you fry the remaining mushrooms.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Nutritional values are approximate.