I’ve been addicted to my mom’s lasagna ever since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. My wife and I make my mom’s recipe often, though I admit we have changed it a bit over the years. And we sometimes even change up how we cook it. Usually, it’s baked in the oven. This time, we made two-person mini serving-sized portions and cooked them using a gas grill. Not only does cooking outside keep from heating up the house on a hot day, it also adds a little different flavor to these mini lasagna using a gas grill.
Nothing beats bubbly hot mini lasagna right off a gas grill. The disposable meatloaf pans are perfect for leftovers, if you have any. Just cover in foil and place in the fridge for later, or freeze for the future. You can reheat the lasagna on the gas grill too. Just toss them on the grill (defrost first if frozen) and heat for about 20 minutes. I sometimes add just a little water around the edges of the pan just before reheating.
These disposable mini meatloaf pans are great for cooking and cleanup!
You can also make fantastic deep-dish pizza on a gas grill.
Mini Lasagna using a Gas Grill
For the meat
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 large white onion diced
- 2-4 cloves garlic minced
For the sauce
For the lasagna
- 1 package lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan grated
- 1 pound fresh buffalo mozzarella torn into chunks, or use shredded
For the meat sauce
- Crumble the meats into a large pot or Dutch oven and brown over medium high heat. Drain fat if desired.
- Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add in all of the sauce ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, 1-2 hours.
- Continue cooking with lid off for another hour, adding a bit more water if the sauce is too thick.
For the lasagna
- Cook noodles per package instructions. Drain well.
- Cut 1" off of each noodle end then cut each in half in the middle.
- First, spread a little sauce out on the bottom of each pan.
- Then, layer the ingredients in the following order. Try to divide the ingredients evenly between each layer, but you don't have to be picky about it.
- Noodle halve
- Repeat for 3 total layers.
- Fire up your gas grill for indirect cooking at 350 F.
- Place loaf pans onto your grill over indirect heat. Close the lid and cook 30 minutes or until the cheese is hot and bubbly.
- Let rest 15 minutes before serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.