One thing is for sure when it comes to these grilled volcano potatoes. I double-dog dare you to try and take one off my plate. These little tasty potatoes are packed with everything you dream of, from gooey melted cheese to smokin’ hot jalapenos. All topped with an incredible sour cream sauce that I have since been using to top everything from regular ole baked potatoes to enchiladas.
The bacon wrapped around the potatoes crisps up perfectly on the grill. It gets a little help from the barbecue sauce. Don’t like what I stuffed them with? Use anything you want. Ham. Pulled pork. Shredded chicken. You can’t go wrong no matter what you use.
Also try my grilled chorizo potato skins.
Grilled Volcano Potatoes
For the potatoes
- 6 medium red potatoes rinsed
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 6 slices bacon half cooked (I just toss them in the microwave for a few minutes, but you can also partially cook them when you cook the other 2 slices below)
- 2 slices bacon cooked, crumbled
- 1-2 jalapenos seeded, diced
- 3/4 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2-1 cup your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1 green onion sliced, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Brush the potatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven directly over the rack over a foil-lined baking sheet (to catch any drippings).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until just tender. Remove and let cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the sauce ingredients and mix well.
- Cut just a bit off each end of the potatoes so that they stand up straight on one end.
- Using a small melon baller, scoop out the inside of the potato (from the top flat side). Leave about 1/4″ or so of the potato ‘walls’.
- Wrap each potato with a piece of partially cooked bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Stuff the potatoes with crumbled cooked bacon, jalapenos, and cheese.
- Fire up your grill for indirect cooking, 350-400 F.
- Place potatoes on the grill and grill for about 30 minutes or until the bacon is crispy. Brush with the BBQ sauce every 10 minutes.
- Serve garnished with the sour cream topping and green onions.
Nutritional values are approximate.