You want pasta salad. She wants potato salad. Now you both can get what you want, in one bowl! And with a little tropical twist, to boot. This Hawaiian-style potato macaroni salad is a wonderful side dish, perfect for a family get-together (it does make a pretty big batch!). It really is the combination of two favorites.
What’s Hawaiian about this Hawaiian style potato macaroni salad? Well, you’re supposed to use sweet Hawaiian onions when you make it. I couldn’t find them, so I used good-ole Vidalia’s, my favorite onions. I don’t think it matters, because this salad turned out to be fantastic!
Also try my Creole macaroni salad.
Hawaiian-Style Potato Macaroni Salad
You want pasta salad. She wants potato salad. Now you both can get what you want, in one bowl! And with a little tropical twist, to boot.
- 3 pounds Russet potatoes peeled (if desired), chopped into 1″ cubes
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup onion shredded
- 1 large carrot shredded
- 1 10 ounce peas frozen
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- 2 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the potatoes. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the pasta and cook 6-8 minutes or until the noodles are al dente.
- Carefully drain the potatoes and pasta into a large colander and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a large bowl and add the onion, carrot, peas and green onion.
- Combine the mayo, relish, vinegar, mustard, allspice and salt and pepper to taste. Gently fold into the potato pasta mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
You can cook the potatoes and pasta together, but I prefer to steam my potatoes. A hard boil tends to beat up the potatoes, whereas steaming keeps that nice cube shape. To do so, place the potatoes in a steam basket over the boiling pasta and steam until tender. The potatoes will likely take longer to steam than the pasta will take to cook.
Calories: 436kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 360mg | Potassium: 464mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 995IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutritional values are approximate.