I had a hard time deciding if these creamy butter beans were a side dish or as a main. We had them as a main dish, with cornbread. And we had them as a side. So… they’re both a main dish and a side dish!! And they are so creamy good!
These creamy butter beans are the ultimate comfort dish, and a welcomed change from the usual chili or big bowl of black-eyed peas that I usually turn to on a cool evening.
For a little Cajun kick to your beans, substitute chopped cooked andouille sausage for the ham.
I like to use my good ole trusty Dutch oven to make these beans and pretty much darned near anything like it on my stovetop. It’s nice and big and sturdy. That extra weight helps it maintain and distribute heat perfectly. As an added bonus, it’s actually pretty easy to clean up too!
Also try my Cuban black beans.
Creamy Butter Beans
- 1 pound dried lima beans
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup white onion chopped
- ½ cup celery chopped
- ¼ cup carrot chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups smoked ham chopped
- 2 pounds smoked hog jowl bacon
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- kosher salt
- Place beans in a large bowl and add enough water to cover them by 2″. Let soak for 24 hours. Drain.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrots and saute until just starting to get tender.
- Add the garlic and cook another 2 minutes.
- Crumble in the dried thyme and black pepper and stir.
- Add the ham, jowl bacon, chicken stock, bay leaves and 4 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and continue simmering for an hour.
- Add beans, butter, parsley, and Cajun seasoning and stir.
- Bring back to a simmer and simmer for another 1 hours and 30 minutes or until the beans are done and the sauce has thickened. If the sauce gets too thick add more water or chicken stock.
- Season with salt and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.