I don’t know Chet. I don’t even know if Chet is a trucker. But I do know that Chet’s Trucker stew is amazing. It’s like if you took a bunch of different great dishes and combined them all in a slow cooker, let it go for about 8 hours and then Boom! It’s sorta like chili. It’s sorta like BBQ beans. It’s sorta like a bean soup. Every bite is packed with so many different flavors. You would never think they’d go together by looking at the ingredients, but they do!
Chet’s Trucker stew is the perfect cold day dish. You aren’t going away hungry, that’s for sure. Whether you’re a long haul trucker or hunkered down at home on a snowy day, it’s a great easy way to make a big bowl of happiness. And it’s easy as heck to make in a slow cooker. Or a Dutch oven for that matter.
Next time I make this stew (soon!) I may mix it up a bit by using smoked sausage instead of the breakfast sausage and beef. But I’d keep the beans the same, because I felt the combination really made this dish rock.
Also try my slow cooker Cincinnati chili.
Chet’s Trucker Stew
- 1 pound breakfast sausage cooked, drained
- 1 pound ground beef cooked, drained
- 1 27 ounce pork and beans undrained
- 1 14 ounce wax beans rinsed, drained
- 1 14 ounce lima beans rinsed, drained
- 1 15 ounce red kidney beans undrained
- 1 15 ounce cannellini beans undrained
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- Combine all ingredients in your slow cooker.
- Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 7-8 hours, stirring occasionally.
Nutritional values are approximate.