I’ve been wanting to make this old school BBQ chicken on my Char-Broil Big Easy for some time now. I flashed back to the mid-1970s, to my earliest memory of a cookout, and chicken. Chicken legs, then. Grilled and sauced with off-the-shelf Kraft BBQ sauce. That’s it. Done. Well, this is my take on the classic I remember from 40 years ago. I used split chicken breasts because that’s what we prefer, but any cut of chicken would work just fine. Just chicken and BBQ sauce. Summer.
I didn’t do anything fancy to this old school BBQ chicken. A little oil, salt and pepper and that’s it. No brine, no fru-fru spices. Just simple flavors. With your Big Easy (and specially if you add a Bunk Bed basket) you can cook up a big batch of chicken ahead of time for a picnic or family get-together.
Old School BBQ Chicken on the Char-Broil Big Easy
- 4 pieces chicken I used split chicken breasts, but any cuts or even a whole chicken will do
- vegetable oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Store-bought BBQ sauce I used Kraft Original. Keep it old school.
- Fire up your Big Easy.
- Very lightly oil the chicken. Just a splash and rub it around the chicken.
- Salt and pepper the chicken and place in the Big Easy basket.
- Place the basket into the Big Easy and cook until done. For my split breasts cook time was about 30 minutes.
- Brush the chicken with the BBQ sauce and return to the Big Easy for a few minutes to 'set' the sauce.
- Remove and rest for 5 minutes before devouring.
Nutritional values are approximate.