If you love pesto you’re really going to love these pesto shrimp with mushrooms. There’s no skimping on the wonderful basil flavors here. Perfectly cooked shrimp, sautéed mushrooms and a hint of garlic all served over pasta (or rice, your call!) make for a great dish indeed. This was a departure for us from our usually creamy, or fried or grilled shrimp dishes. I am not always keen on pesto, but this helped make a believer out of me.
I wouldn’t hesitate to use a bit more red pepper flake the next time I make this pesto shrimp with mushrooms dish. And I’d probably add more garlic too. But keep in mind, I’m a little shy when it comes to pesto. You might actually want to just add more pesto and ignore my ideas. It’s not always a bad idea to ignore my suggestions! Just ask my wife!
I like to use my good ole trusty Dutch oven to make these shrimp and pretty much darned near anything like it on my stovetop. It’s nice and big and sturdy. That extra weight helps it maintain and distribute heat perfectly. As an added bonus, it’s actually pretty easy to clean up too!
Pesto Shrimp with Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 pound shrimp peeled, deveined
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt divided
- ¼ teaspoon dried red pepper flake
- 8 ounces white mushrooms sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup basil pesto
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped, for garnish (optional)
- cooked pasta or rice for serving, if desired
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet.
- Season the shrimp with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and all of the red pepper flake. Add to skillet and cook 3 minutes, flipping once, until pink and cooked. Remove to a plate.
- Add remaining oil to the skillet. Add the mushrooms and season with remaining salt. Cook 2-3 minutes or until the mushrooms just start to soften.
- Add the garlic, stir and cook another minute.
- Stir in the shrimp, pesto and broth. Stir and heat thoroughly but not for very long as you don't want to overcook the shrimp.
- Serve over rice or paste garnished with chopped fresh basil, if desired.
Nutritional values are approximate.