When I make Cajun slow cooker pot roast I have only one goal in mind: making the perfect pot roast po boy sandwich. Yeah, I could slice it and serve it with mashed potatoes. Or something else. But for me, pile it up on a crusty roll with some creamy horseradish sauce, chopped lettuce, onion, and tomato and I’m not just sort of happy, I’m in heaven!
As simple as it is to make, this Cajun slow cooker pot roast is crazy full of flavor. And it’s so tender. And juicy. Oh, that juicy goodness. My mouth is watering just thinking back to my po boy. That sure was a mighty good sandwich.
Also try my slow cooker jalapeno pot roast.
Cajun Slow Cooker Pot Roast
When I make Cajun slow cooker pot roast I have only one goal in mind: making the perfect pot roast po boy sandwich.
Servings 8 servings
- 3-4 pound chuck roast remove any extra fat
- 3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil divided
- 1/2 cup carrots diced
- 1/2 cup celery sliced
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 4 cloved garlic minced
- 1/4 cup red wine optional, can just add more broth or use water
- 2 cups beef broth
- Rub the seasoning over the roast. Don't be shy with it.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat in a large pan or Dutch oven.
- Add the carrots, celery and onion and saute until they just start to caramelize..
- Add the garlic and saute another minute, stirring.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan and place in a slow cooker set to low. Add the remaining oil.
- Add the chuck roast and sear well on all sides. Remove to the slow cooker.
- De-glaze the pan with the red wine, scrapping up any bits that are stuck to the bottom.
- Add the beef broth and reduce by 1/4th. Pour over meat and vegetables.
- Cover and cook for 8-10 hours or until tender.
- Carefully remove the meat and chop or slice as desired. I prefer to return the chopped or sliced meat to the slow cooker until I'm ready to use it.
Calories: 396kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 117mg | Sodium: 375mg | Potassium: 740mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2680IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 4mg
Nutritional values are approximate.