“If all of your friends jumped off a bridge would you jump too?” Well, probably not, but if all of my friends were making grilled (or smoked) queso dip, I’d make it too. And so I did. And it was oh so good. Creamy, cheese, spicy yummy good. I mean crazy good. If you’re used to making queso dip in a slow cooker, this is not that. This is so much better.
There are literally a thousand things that can go into grilled queso dip. I picked my favorites. Roasted vegetables. Spicy sausage. And the right combination of cheeses (ok, Velveeta isn’t technically cheese, but go with it for now) so everything gets nice and creamy smooth. It’s what a dip should be.
You can make queso dip on your smoker just as easily as you can grill it. Instead of roasting the vegetables over high heat on a grill, just toss them in a 450 F oven until nice and just starting to soften and char. To make the dip, get your smoker up to 250 F over a light wood such as apple or peach. The cheeses might take a bit longer to melt, so be patient and enjoy the aroma!
Also try my smoked onion dip.
Grilled Queso Dip
- Crumble the sausage into a skillet over medium-high heat and cook until browned. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and cool. I like to chop mine to get it nice and fine, but that's entirely up to you.
- Fire up your grill for direct high cooking over high heat.
- Place the onions, bell peppers and Serranos into a large bowl and drizzle lightly with oil. Transfer to the grill and roast over high heat until browned and just starting to soften, turning occasionally. Remove to a plate to cool.
- Chop the onion. Remove the charred skins, stems and seeds from the peppers and chop coarsely.
- Spray a 9" x 11" disposable pan with non-stick spray. Add the ingredients. You can arrange them all pretty or just put them in. It's all gonna get mixed up in the end!
- Change your grill over to indirect cooking. This just means you want a zone that isn't directly over the fire you already had going. Something around 350 F is what you want. You are just looking to melt the cheeses.
- Place the pan over indirect heat and heat for 30 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally once the cheese softens. Once everything is melted good and gooey, it's ready to serve!
Nutritional values are approximate.