Smoked Scotch eggs have been on my bucket list for a while. I finally had a little room on my smoker so I jumped at the opportunity. As easy as they are to make, Scotch eggs are really amazing. It’s like breakfast in a bite. Perfectly hard-boiled eggs, smoked breakfast sausage, and a bit of BBQ sauce for dipping. They look great and they taste great. Awesome appetizers for your next cookout.
If you want a bit of kick to your smoked Scotch eggs add a bit of cayenne pepper or your favorite spicy rub to the bread crumbs. Not a lot, just enough to bring a little spiciness.
Also try my Dragon eggs and ‘normal’ smoked eggs. My pig shots are great too!
Smoked Scotch Eggs
Smoked Scotch eggs have been on my bucket list for a while. I finally had a little room on my smoker so I jumped at the opportunity. As easy as they are to make, Scotch eggs are really amazing.
Servings 12 eggs
- 14 eggs divided
- 2 pounds breakfast sausage bulk, not the links
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 3 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- your favorite BBQ sauce warmed, for serving
- Fire up your smoker for cooking at 225 F.
- Hard-boil 12 of the eggs and remove the shells.
- Combine the sausage and minced onion. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the mixture into 12 equally-sized balls and flatten.
- Place an egg in the middle of each flattened sausage patty and wrap the meat around the egg. The egg should be completely covered by the sausage.
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl.
- Beat the remaining 2 eggs in another shallow bowl.
- Place breadcrumbs into another shallow bowl.
- Roll sausage-covered eggs in the flour. Shake off excess.
- Roll sausage-covered eggs in the egg. Shake off excess.
- Roll sausage-covered eggs in the breadcrumbs. Shake off excess.
- Smoke for 2 1/2 hours
- Slice eggs lengthwise and serve with warmed BBQ sauce for dunking.
Calories: 451kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 245mg | Sodium: 752mg | Potassium: 336mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 334IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 4mg
Nutritional values are approximate.