I have made a ton of beef jerky over the years. I loved every flavor, and I never got any complaints from friends and neighbors on it either. But all that time I had never tried to make jerky using sous vide. Well, folks, this Colorado spicy beef jerky using sous vide is off-the-charts crazy good. Packed with flavor, the meat is tender with just the right chew. The perfect chew. I can eat this like popcorn. And I did.
I used Walton’s Colorado spicy beef jerky seasoning and Sure Cure. The end result was perfect. I’ll use this same technique for now on whenever I make beef jerky. It’s as easy as you can get and as delicious as can be. Though the name says ‘spicy’, it’s not screaming hot. It does sneak up on you a bit, so when you take that first bite, don’t expect the heat to be in the front. No, give it a second… it’ll come. Trust me.
Colorado Spicy Beef Jerky using Sous Vide
- Set up your immersion circulator for 108 F sous vide.
- Place the meat into a large bowl and sprinkle with the seasoning/cure mixture. DO NOT ADD WATER. Using your hands, mix the seasonings and meat well.
- Transfer the meat to a sealable bag and vacuum seal. Make sure there are no leaks.
- Transfer bag to sous vide setup and heat for 2 hours.
- Increase temperature to 130 F and heat for an additional 4 hours.
- Turn on your dehydrator and heat it to 160 F.
- Remove the meat from the bag and transfer to the dehydrator. Do not overlap the pieces.
- Dry for 2-3 hours. Let cool before storing.
Nutritional values are approximate.