If you would’ve put beets in front of me when I was a kid I would’ve said “Ewwwww” and pushed them away. Now, I find that I really like them, specially when roasted. Or pickled. Or even better, spiralized, roasted, and pickled! The aroma as the beets roast is fantastic. Spiralized roasted pickled beets are amazing.
The shallots and rosemary combine with the beets for something really special. They then go into jars with a brine, but not a normal pickling brine. The addition of red onions and tarragon add so much to the beets. Even beet haters will love them!
Make sure you wear kitchen gloves when handling the beets, and clean your spiralizer (and cutting board) immediately after using them. Roasted spiralized pickled beets can be messy.
I also learned quickly that you want to use beets with a little ‘give’ to them – not too hard. A few that I grabbed were hard to spiralize, and I ended up turning them by hand instead of using the crank. No worries, they still came out fantastic! Lesson learned!
Spiralized Roasted Pickled Beets
For the roasted beets
- 6 medium beets cleaned, peeled. Try to select beets that are slightly soft. Tougher beets will be difficult to spiralize.
- 2 large shallots peeled, sliced thin
- 2 sprigs rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
For the roasted beets
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Note: I like to cut a small slit down the sides of the beets. This produces a single half moon spiral.
- Spiralize the beets. Tougher beets can be difficult to spiralize. Make sure you put the root side into the spiralizer first and have the stem side towards the crank.
- Wash your spiralizer to keep it from staining.
- Place beets onto a large piece of foil. Top with the shallots, sprinkle with rosemary, and drizzle with oil.
- Seal the foil tightly and place into the oven for 30-40 minutes or until tender but not mushy. Be careful opening the packet as the steam will be hot.
- Let cool completely before pickling.
For the picking brine
- Bring vinegar, tarragon, salt, sugar and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Alternative beets and onions in jars.
- Pour in the brine. Add more water if necessary to completely cover the beets.
- Seal and store in the refrigerator for at least 3 days before serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.