I could not resist when I saw beautiful, ripe red strawberries at the grocery store. As many dishes as I could use them in, my mind instantly went to creamy, yummy, delicious homemade strawberry ice cream. This ice cream is so smooth, but it also has nice little bites of crazy good strawberry. It tastes so fresh, it’s hard to stop eating it.
I often change recipes when I make them. And I often cut back on things like, oh, cream or sugar. But not when I make homemade strawberry ice cream. This is not the time to be skimpy or try to make a dish super-duper healthy. This is decadent goodness. It’s supposed to be that way.
Also try my chocolate peanut butter ice cream. And my homemade blueberry ice cream.
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries hulled, diced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the diced strawberries into a large bowl. Add the honey, sugar and lemon juice. Stir to coat then let sit on the countertop for 15-20 minutes or until the juices from the strawberries has been released. There should be a good bit of juice in the bottom of the bowl.
- Use a potato masher or fork to mash the strawberry mixture until all of the larger chunks have been mashed. But don't go crazy on it if you prefer some occasional strawberry pieces in your ice cream.
- Stir in the heavy cream, half and half and vanilla extract.
- Transfer to your ice cream maker and process per manufacturer's instructions. Freeze overnight. Let sit at room temperature for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Makes about 1 1/2 quarts.
Nutritional values are approximate.