I was perusing Plain Chicken, one of my favorite blogs to follow, when I came across Steph’s great recipe for grilled Italian chicken tenders. I thought to myself, “Self? What do you think about making sandwiches from this recipe?” So that’s what I did. And, boy, what great sandwiches they were! The chicken has a great Italian flavor, complimented by the fresh toppings.
You won’t be disappointed with these grilled Italian chicken sandwiches. You don’t have to use chicken tenders. Any cut of boneless chicken will do. I’m a big fan of chicken thighs so next time I make these I’ll use thighs instead.
Also try my grilled Jamaican jerk chicken sandwiches.
Grilled Italian Chicken Sandwiches
For the chicken
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders
For the sandwiches
- 4 buns
- Italian salad dressing I used Marzetti Sweet Italian
- Green leaf lettuce
- Red onion sliced
- Tomato sliced
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients except for the chicken. Place into a large resealable baggie and add the chicken. Close and shake to cover. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Fire up your grill for direct and indirect cooking.
- Shake off any excess marinade from the chicken and place over direct heat. Sear then flip and sear the other side. Remove to indirect heat and continue cooking until done (internal temperature of 165 F). Remove and let cool slightly.
- Toast buns if desired.
- Slather both sides of the buns with the dressing.
- Add chicken, lettuce, onion and tomato and serve.