What a wonderful casserole this southwestern potato casserole is! Fortunately, the recipe makes a really big batch (of course you could divide it or cut it in half), because we weren’t shy about eating it. I really liked the crunch that the tortilla chips added. There’s a little hint of heat, but not much, so don’t worry about taking this to a potluck or family get-together.Also try my tater tot casserole.
Southwestern Potato Casserole
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 16 ounce tub sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 can Rotel drained (mild or hot, up to you!)
- 1/2 pound Mexican Velveeta cheese cut into small cubes
- 1 2 pound bag shredded hash browns
- 1 cup crushed yellow tortilla chips
- 1 cup crushed purple tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup butter cut into small pats
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place the soup, sour cream, onion, chile powder, Rotel and cheese into a large bowl. Stir.
- Fold in the hash browns.
- Spray a 9" x 13" baking dish with non-stick spray. Pour in the hash brown mixture and spread out evenly.
- Sprinkle top of casserole with the chips and butter.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly and starting to brown.