I have cooked a LOT of chicken wings on my Char-Broil Big Easy. It’s my favorite way to cook wings, other than deep frying. The Big Easy cooks wings so easily and quickly. I usually finish off the wings over a hot grill to get a bit of a crunch on the skin. Well, no more.
Now I can get delicious, tender, moist, crunchy wings on the Big Easy without grilling them afterwards. These crispy wings are fantastic. I won’t do wings any other way again, and that includes deep frying. This is it, the way to do wings.
The key to getting the wings crispy is to dry out the skin so that takes on a good crunch under the high heat of the Big Easy. If you don’t have a Big Easy, you should get one. Until then, you can also make these crispy wings in the oven.
I used my Wingin’ator 3000 basket when I cooked up these wings so that I can cook more at once than I could with the basket that comes with the Big Easy. You can also pick up a bunk bed basket (see the link below) that doubles the amount of room you’ll have for cooking wings. You don’t want to crowd the wings into the cooker or they won’t cook evenly.
Try my wicked sticky Big Easy wings for something crazy messy instead.
- 4 pounds chicken wings, separated
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Non-stick spray
- Your favorite wing sauce and dipping sauce
- Rinse the wings and pat them very dry with paper towels.
- Place on a sheet pan or plate and cover with more paper towels. Refrigerate for 2 hours to further dry out the skin.
- Preheat oven to 250 F.
- Transfer wings to a resealable baggie or container. Add in the baking powder and salt. Seal, and shake or toss to coat well.
- Spray a baking rack with the non-stick spray and put it over a baking sheet that is lined with foil.
- Place wings onto rack but do not crowd them.
- Bake for 30 minutes. While baking, fire up your Big Easy.
- Transfer wings to the Big Easy and cook another 10-20 minutes or until done.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425 F and continue baking for another 20 or so minutes or until done.
- Toss wings in your favorite sauce and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.