What? Hot dogs in a fresh tomato salad? Well, that’s how my mom got me to eat tomatoes when I was a kid. I didn’t really like tomatoes then, but I was more than happy to sit down with a bowl of this hot dog tomato salad.
The key for me was to eat everything BUT the hot dogs first. This left the best part, hot dogs sitting in a great vinegary and oniony dressing. The dogs would soak up a bit of the vinegar and taste unlike any hot dog I’d ever had. Add strangely enough, I would drink up the remaining dressing. Odd, huh?
As much as it might sound a little odd, this is a great salad. You can leave out the hot dogs if you like, but I highly recommend adding them.
If you’re looking for a more grown-up tomato dish, try my cherry tomato salad.
Love hot dogs as much as I do? Check out my free eCookbook that is packed with tons of hot dog recipes.
- 7 tomatoes, sliced as you desire
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (plus more) distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Hot dogs, sliced (optional)
- Kosher alt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients. Add more vinegar if you like.