A better name for this spicy chicken salad would be ‘absolutely fantastic, totally different, outrageously great chicken salad’, but that’s too long for a blog post title. This is not your typical chicken salad. Sure, it’s creamy, but there are special, unexpected ingredients in there too. Like cheese (in a chicken salad????!). And bell pepper (why didn’t I think of that? It adds great crunch and flavor). And tart sour cream???! And my favorite flavors, spicy smoky chipotle and cooling creamy avocado. What a great chicken salad this is!
I wouldn’t change a thing about this spicy chicken salad.
If you aren’t going to use the entire batch at once, I do recommend that you only mix in avocado with what you will use. The avocado isn’t going to keep for long. You’re better off mixing it in when you need it.
Got leftover fried chicken? Also try my fried chicken salad. It’s crazy good on sandwiches too.
Spicy Chicken Salad
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cooked chicken diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1/3 cup pepper jack cheese diced
- 1 avocado diced
- Place the mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, salt, garlic powder, chipotle powder, onion powder and cumin in a large bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the chicken, bell pepper and cheese and stir.
- Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Gently fold in the avocado and serve on bread, in wraps, or on crispy lettuce.