I’m a Teriyaki sauce addict. Give me a plate of fried rice and some slow cooked chicken drowned in teriyaki sauce and I’m one happy guy. For me it’s the Asian-inspired equivalent of beef gravy over prime rib and I just can’t get enough. I used chicken thighs in this slow cooker Teriyaki chicken because they have the most flavor and are so tender. You could substitute chickens breast but you’ll probably have to increase the cook time if they are large.
I made the rice a day in advance in my slow cooker. It was slow cooker week here after all. I was quite busy and with just a little planning I was able to enjoy great dinners all week right out of the slow cooker, like this slow cooker Teriyaki chicken.
For a little crunch, add roasted peanuts just before serving.
Also try my slow cooker Mongolian beef.
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Cooked rice warmed, for serving
- Place chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Whisk together the sugar, soy cause, vinegar, ginger, garlic powder and pepper.
- Pour mixture over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low 4-5 hours or until the chicken is tender and falling apart.
- Remove chicken to a platter or bowl.
- Combine the cornstarch and water and whisk into the slow cooker.
- Return chicken to slow cooker and warm through.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.