I was looking for a salad for lunches for the work week. Something that would hold up, and wouldn’t get soggy yucky. Something with some crunch. And of course, something yummy. I found that and more in Martin’s broccoli salad. This is great stuff here. It’s perfect for packing for lunch, a picnic, and even served as a side dish with dinner.
I’ve made Martin’s broccoli salad a number of times now. I generally follow the recipe to a ‘T’. But I have been known to use different cheese (I love it with pepperjack). Or different nuts (roasted walnuts are fantastic). I thought about making it with cauliflower instead of broccoli. I think I’ll try that next! No matter what, you can’t go wrong with this recipe, even if you make it your own by changing it up a bit!
The original recipe did call for shredded cheese. I prefer cubed cheese. I think it holds up better to the other chopped ingredients and it doesn’t ‘hog’ all of the dressing.
Also try my tangy broccoli salad.
Martin’s Broccoli Salad
For the dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sugar you can use artificial sweetener
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
For the salad
- 1 pound broccoli chopped (I used crowns)
- 3/4 cup Cheddar cubed (you can use shredded)
- 1/2 cup roasted pecans chopped
- 1/3 cup sun-dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 3 slices bacon cooked, chopped
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add in the salad ingredients and stir gently to coat.