I was looking for a salad for lunches for the work week. Something that would hold up, and wouldn’t get soggy yucky. Something with some crunch. And of course, something yummy. I found that and more in Martin’s broccoli salad. This is great stuff here. It’s perfect for packing for lunch, a picnic, and even served as a side dish with dinner.
I’ve made Martin’s broccoli salad a number of times now. I generally follow the recipe to a ‘T’. But I have been known to use different cheese (I love it with pepperjack). Or different nuts (roasted walnuts are fantastic). I thought about making it with cauliflower instead of broccoli. I think I’ll try that next! No matter what, you can’t go wrong with this recipe, even if you make it your own by changing it up a bit!
The original recipe did call for shredded cheese. I prefer cubed cheese. I think it holds up better to the other chopped ingredients and it doesn’t ‘hog’ all of the dressing.
Also try my tangy broccoli salad.
Martin’s Broccoli Salad
For the dressing
For the salad
- 1 pound broccoli chopped (I used crowns)
- 3/4 cup cheddar cubed (you can use shredded)
- 1/2 cup pecans roasted, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries sun-dried
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 3 slices bacon cooked, chopped
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add in the salad ingredients and stir gently to coat.
Nutritional values are approximate.