This southwestern quinoa salad is by far our favorite quinoa salad. With such great depth-of-flavor and a little smoky kick, you definitely won’t be bored with it. It is perfect for packing for lunch or having as a side with dinner. The textures and flavors abound in this salad.
I mixed red and yellow quinoa to get more contrast in the final salad. In my humble opinion, my southwestern quinoa salad came out looking as great as it tasted!
I make another version of this salad that includes delicious cherry tomatoes among other great things. Give it a try too!
Southwestern Quinoa Salad
A fantastic quinoa salad with great flavor.
- 3 cups chicken broth homemade preferred
- ¾ cup yellow quinoa rinsed
- ¾ cup red quinoa rinsed
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
For the dressing:
- 3 limes juiced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon chipotle chili powder or substitute cayenne
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
For the salad
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- ½ cup frozen corn
- ½ medium red onion diced
- ½ cup roasted red pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon jalapenos minced
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot. Add the quinoa and salt, cover, and boil for 10-15 minutes or until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, cumin, chili powder, chipotle chili powder, vinegar, olive oil and garlic.
- To assemble the salad, place the black beans, corn, onion, red bell pepper, jalapenos, cilantro and quinoa in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Add in the dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and serve, or refrigerate first.
Calories: 194kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 626mg | Potassium: 467mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 181IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 3mg
Nutritional values are approximate.