It’s probably been 20 or so years since I had an Egg McMuffin. I barely remember what is even on them. But that didn’t stop me from making this egg McMuffin casserole from Plain Chicken. The first time I made this pretty much as Steph had it (except I didn’t drizzle it with maple syrup), which came out fantastic. I added Creole seasoning because, well, I put Creole seasoning in just about everything I make.
The next time, I’ll stray from the Egg McMuffin idea and maybe add peppered bacon instead of Canadian bacon. And maybe pepperjack cheese instead of cheddar. Casseroles are great that way – you can get all creative on it. Even though the base recipe for an egg McMuffin casserole is fantastic!
I highly recommend that you shred or grate your own cheese at home. Don’t buy the pre-shredded or pre-grated stuff. It has stuff added to it to keep it from sticking together. That ‘stuff’ affects how the cheese melts. Shred it yourself and use the good stuff.
Also try my breakfast pizza.
This recipe is based on a recipe from Plain Chicken.
Egg McMuffin Casserole
- Spray an 8″ x 8″ baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl, add the eggs, milk, chives, and Creole seasoning. Beat lightly.
- Layer half of the cut muffins on the bottom of the baking dish. Top with half of the Canadian bacon and cheese.
- Add one more layer of the remaining muffins, followed by the rest of the Canadian bacon and cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top of the dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour to let the bread soak up some of the eggs.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Remove plastic wrap and bake until the eggs are set, 40-50 minutes.
- Serve drizzled with real maple syrup.
Nutritional values are approximate.