I made a few of these Country Five bean soup mixes in a jar and gave them out as gifts. Of course, before I did that I made a ‘test batch’ for ourselves. The soup is simple and tasty and quite hardy. I keep a few jars of the mix on hand for a quick and delicious soup any time.
All the recipient needs is a pound of smoked sausage (skinless, turkey… any kind will do), a can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs, some water and little time!
For the recipe card I just threw a little something together in Word. You can download it here. To print them I used Avery Personal Creations Textured Postcards (3380).
Country Five Bean Soup Mix in a Jar
The jar ingredients (makes 1 jar)
- 1/2 cup dried kidney beans
- 1/2 cup dried navy Beans
- 1/2 cup dried pinto beans
- 1/2 cup dried lima beans
- 1/2 cup dried great northern beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 cubes beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
The recipient will need
- jar soup mix from above
- 1 pound smoked sausage cut into rounds
- 1 diced tomatoes with Italian spices
- 4-6 cups water
To assemble the soup-in-a-jar ingredients
- Layer beans into a 1 quart resealable jar.
- Place remaining ingredients into a resealable baggie and add to jar.
Instructions for cooking
- Remove spice packet from jar.
- Rinse beans in cold water and add to a large pot or Dutch oven.
- Add enough water to cover the beans. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add spices, tomatoes and sausage. You can brown the sausage first if you wish.
- Cover and simmer for 2-3 hours or until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
Nutritional values are approximate.