This recipe for bacony chicken rice came from the The Sweet Potato Queens’ Big-Ass Cookbook (and Financial Planner), with modifications. We listened to the first SPQ audiobook a few years ago on a road trip. They are a riot.
The chicken comes out really tender, and the sauce over rice is great! You can leave out the rice and make my delicious copycat Rice-A-Roni instead.
Bacony Chicken and Rice
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Spray a 9″ x 11″ baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Cover bottom of the baking dish with the bacon.
- Spread rice over bacon.
- Place chicken over rice and season with salt, pepper, paprika and Cajun seasoning.
- In a bowl, combine the soup, water, garlic salt, nutmeg, parsley and oregano. Pour over chicken and spread out evenly.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for 2 hours. Check that the rice is done and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.