These Italian sausage sandwiches are my go-to, big event, messy, eat-too-much-of-them sandwiches. I’ve always made them on-the-fly. I’d grab a little of this. And I’d grab a little of that and throw it all into the pot. This year I decided to finally write them down. Because they rock.
Eating these sandwiches requires paper towels. And maybe even bibs. I’ve always said that the messier the sandwich, the better. Same philosophy goes for burgers and hot dogs. If there’s not something dripping down your arms, in your lap or on your shirt, it’s not messy enough.
Also try my other version of Italian sausage sandwich. Oh, and yeah, I use Johnsonville brand sausages on my sammies!
Italian Sausage Sandwiches
- Vegetable oil
- 10 sweet Italian sausages in casings
- 2 medium red bell peppers cut in strips
- 2 medium green bell peppers cut in strips
- 1 large sweet onion cut in strips
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 12 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 48 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Hot sauce to taste
- 10 Hoagie buns
- 2 cups Italian cheese shredded
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausages and brown on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- Add in the peppers and onion and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until just starting to get tender.
- Add the tomato sauce and paste, Stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add in the sugar, Italian seasoning, and hot sauce, to taste. Stir well.
- Add the sausages and any juices back to the pot. Cook, simmering for at least an hour.
- Lightly toast the buns. Serve sausages in buns topped with plenty of sauce, topped with cheese. Place under the broiler for a minute or two to brown.
Nutritional values are approximate.