I think the title pretty much says it all. Pepperoni Pizza Mac and Cheese. It’s all of your favorite things in one dish. Insanely gooey good stuff. Even without the pepperoni, this is crazy good macaroni and cheese. I didn’t use to think tomato and mac were a bad idea. A bad combination. But the tomato adds a nice flavor, a little juicy goodness, that’s not expected but needed!
I would not be afraid to add more pepperoni the next time I make this pepperoni pizza mac and cheese. There’s no need to go half in on this. Plain old mac and cheese is pretty decadent to begin with and this is definitely not ‘plain old’.
Pepperoni Pizza Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound pasta dried rotini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 3 1/2 ounces pepperoni sliced into thin strips
- 1 medium tomato seeded, diced
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spray a 9″ x 13″ baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Cook pasta per package instructions. Drain well.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, and continue whisking for 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. While whisking, add in the milk. The mixture will thicken.
- Add the oregano, basil and parsley and stir. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the cottage cheese, Parmesan, and mozzarella until melted.
- Stir in the pepperoni and tomato and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Fold in the pasta. Pour mixture into the baking dish and spread out evenly with a spatula.
- Sprinkle top with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake 20 minutes or until bubbling hot and browned on top.
Nutritional values are approximate.