The best? Really? Quite the bold claim saying that these are the best BBQ beans on the planet. So, being the skeptical person that I am, I figured these would be lame, middle-of-the-road, and nothing really to talk about.
Well, I was wrong. These are the best BBQ beans on the planet and the best I’ve ever had. Now, to be fair, I’ve had some that were close seconds. But these are amazing. So are they the best on the planet? Inspired by Steven Raichlen, these are the best beans in the galaxy. Raichlen introduced me on to a world outside of just firing up some charcoal and tossing on a rubbery steak. And he gave me grill envy. I mean, really, have you seen his shows? He has the BEST toys!
Be cautious when lifting the pan of beans on and off the grill. Always support the pan on the bottom. I use oven mitts.
The only way to make these is on the grill, over indirect heat. Although you can make them in the oven, but you’d really be missing the point (and some flavor). I used my Weber Performer Platinum Charcoal Grill.
Also try my easy spicy grilled potatoes.
Best BBQ Beans on the Planet
- 1 pound bacon thick cut smoked, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 15 ounce black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce dark red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 3 large cans pork and beans Go cheap, it’s ok
- 1 large sweet onion finely chopped (I used a Vidalia,my favorite)
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 jalapeño peppers seeded and minced
- 1 bottle your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar firmly packed
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Set up your grill for indirect cooking.
- Place a few chunks of mesquite over the coals.
- Add the bacon pieces to a large skillet or Dutch oven over high heat and cook until starting to crisp. Remove bacon to a plate. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings (I strained the rest and refrigerated it for oiling my grill grates).
- Place all remaining ingredients into a 9" x 13" disposable pan with 3" sides. Stir.
- Drizzle reserved bacon drippings over the top of the beans.
- Place pan on grill over indirect heat.
- Cook for at least 1 hour, monitoring to see if the beans get too hot or dry out (you might have to add water).
- Remove beans once they and the vegetables are tender.
- Cover grill
Nutritional values are approximate.