This simple roasted tomato sauce made with fire-roasted tomatoes is excellent for dipping (or topping) ravioli or any pasta dish. You can also use it with tortilla chips for a different twist on traditional salsa.
If you grow your own tomatoes you know how they can all ripen at about the same time. If you need a way to use up a lot of tomatoes in no time, just make a few batches of this sauce. It freezes well for use all year long!
If you love my tasty roasted tomato sauce also try my delicious slow cooker tomato sauce.
Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 4 large tomatoes cored
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Start up your grill. You can also make these in the oven under the broiler, but keep an eye on them to make sure you don't burn them.
- Brush 1 tablespoon of the oil onto the tomatoes and add them to the grill over direct heat. Grill, turning occasionally, until lightly charred on all sides and the tomatoes are soft. Remove and let cool slightly.
- Place tomatoes into a food processor along with the garlic and basil.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil and blend until smooth. Add more oil if the mixture is too thick,
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm.
Nutritional values are approximate.