Every once-in-a-while I get a hankerin’ for a big ole messy Sloppy Joe sandwich. I ate them often as a child. My tastes have changed since then, so the versions of Sloppy Joes I eat now are quite different. But, they are still super yummy, and just as importantly, messy. They don’t call them Sloppy for no reason, ya know? Big Daddy’s Sloppy Joe sandwich is the grown-up version of my childhood favorite.
Big Daddy’s Sloppy Joes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sweet onion minced
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce I used A1 steak sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 dash hot sauce or more
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 6 sub rolls toasted
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef, salt and pepper. Stir and cook until meat is nearly cooked.
- Drain most of the fat.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the buns. Stir and cook until the beef is browned and the vegetables are somewhat tender.
- Serve over hoagie rolls.
Nutritional values are approximate.